ASPARAGUS CRAB HASH, POACHED EGG “MALTAISE” VINAIGRETTE
RECIPE BY: Dean A. Thomas CEC CCE
YIELD: 12 Servings
3 Bunches California Asparagus Spears (cut 3 inch tips, thinly slice stalk into circles down to the bark end)
1 each Spanish Onion, peeled and minced
2 each Leeks, whites only, sliced thinly into circles
1 TB Vegetable Oil
1 each Roasted Red Bell Pepper, peeled and diced
1 TB Fresh Parsley, chopped
1/8 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
2 each Pre-baked Russet Potatoes
1/2 Lb. Pre-cooked Linguini Pasta, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 Lb. Claw Crabmeat
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
3 TB Butter
3 each Clementines (oranges), juice and zest
1 tsp Sherry Wine Vinegar
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 each Shallot, finely minced
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
12 each Large Eggs, poached soft
METHOD OF PREPARATION (ASPARAGUS CRAB-HASH):
1. Begin by sweating the asparagus cut stalks, minced onion, and sliced leek in the oil until translucent with no color.
2. Add the roasted red pepper, parsley, and thyme. Remove form heat and allow to cool.
3. In a large mixing bowl, flake the center of the baked potatoes leaving small chunks of potato.
4. Add the linguini, crabmeat, sour cream, and the asparagus mixture, lightly fold together the ingredients.
5. Using a heavy gauge sauté pan, portion the hash into twelve free form cake servings and sauté in the butter until golden brown.
6. Blanch the asparagus tips in salted water and poach the eggs soft for service.
METHOD OF PREPARATION (“MALTAISE” VINAIGRETTE):
1. To prepare the “Maltaise” Vinaigrette, place the Clementine juice and zest, sherry vinegar, Dijon mustard, and shallot. Using a whisk, emulsify the olive oil. Adjust seasoning and reserve for service.
In the center of a warm serving plate, place the crispy hash, top with the asparagus spears and the poached egg. Drizzle the egg and the surrounding plate with the “Maltaise” vinaigrette.