ROASTED MUSHROOMS CREAMY POTATO GNOCCHI
RECIPE BY: Dean A. Thomas CEC CCE
YIELD: 8 servings
“There are many options and flavors that can be served with our Vienza Barbera.” I found it goes well with mushrooms for the earthiness paired with creamy potato gnocchi from the foothills of Northern Italy. When in season, one can always use a more flavorful wild mushroom. It can be accompanied with our famous Europa Village breadsticks, found only in our tasting room.”
2 TB Temecula Olive Oil
8 oz. Small Whole Button Mushrooms
1 tsp. Course Sea Salt
1 tsp. Course Ground Black Pepper
1 each Small Onion, diced
1 sprig Fresh Thyme
2 each Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 Lb. Potato Gnocchi
1 Cup Dry White Wine
2 Cups Chicken Stock
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
2 each Whole Eggs
Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Toss mushrooms and olive oil in a bowl to coat the mushrooms. Place on a small sheet pan and roast at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes until roasted brown.
2. In a large skillet, place onion, thyme, and garlic with the potato gnocchi. Add wine and chicken stock to cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until tender. Test gnocchi by removing one and taste for firmness. If still a little undercooked, you may add water to continue to cook until tender.
3. In a small bowl, whip eggs and heavy cream together, then add a little of the remaining hot cooking liquid to the mixture to warm the egg mixture to prevent scrambling of the egg.
4. Add the egg mixture back into the gnocchi pan and stir over reduced heat. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve in a shallow pasta bowl, top with the roasted mushrooms and sprinkle with fresh chives.