RECIPE BY: Dean A. Thomas CEC CCE
YIELD: 1 Quart
“This preparation for eggplant is an Italian Classic. The flavor combinations of the sweet raisins, salty capers, earthy pine nuts and the sourness from the vinegar make this a great accompaniment for so many dishes and pairs great with Vienza Pinot Grigio.”
6 Cups Eggplant, peeled, salted and cut into 1/2″ pieces
3 1/2 Cups Tomatoes, diced
1/2 Cups Olives
1 Large Onion, diced
1/4 Cup Capers
3 TB Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
2 TB Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
1/2 Cup Golden Raisins
Salt & Pepper to Taste
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Single layer eggplant on coffee filters and microwave on high for 10 minutes to dehydrate.
2. Sauté onions in olive oil until they begin to caramelize.
3. Add eggplant and continue to sauté. Add tomatoes, capers, olives, raisins and stir.
4. Add vinegar and brown sugar. Let stew for about 10 minutes.
5. Season and finish with pine nuts.